This was posted last year, but here it is again in celebration of Summer Solstice!
Sensational Strawberry Cubes~ photo by Karen Diggs
These luscious, red, juicy, heart-shaped delights will be coming into their prime in the Summer and we should take advantage of this gift from the fruit gods.
Here are some interesting facts you may not know about strawberries:
- It is part of the Rosaceae family, which includes roses, pears, apples, peaches & raspberries.
- There are over 600 varieties of strawberries.
- It is actually not a fruit, but an enlarged receptacle of the flower of the plant.
- During the Middle Ages, strawberries were a symbol of prosperity, perfection, and peace.
- Just 1 cup of the fresh stuff will provide over 136% of the daily allowance of vitamin C.
- Strawberries make an awesome facial mask that helps to treat acne and give a supple, fresh glow to your skin! (see instructions below).
Here’s a super easy, super delectable recipe to cool off those long hot summer afternoons:
Sensational Strawberry Ice cubes
4 oz. strawberries, stems removed
¼ cup Brown Rice Syrup, or Maple Syrup
¼ cup coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Pour mixture into ice tray cubes and allow to set. (About 3 hours)
Makes approximately 8 – 10 tasty cubes.
While waiting for the Sensational Strawberry Cubes to set, why not make your own skin sensational?
Simply mash 2 or 3 fresh strawberries and mix with one Tbsp. plain (full fat) yogurt. Please don’t be tempted to eat this before it gets onto your face!
Relax, lie down, smooth the mixture onto your face and rest for 10 – 15 minutes. Then, rinse off with warm water. Look in the mirror and smile!
Strawberries contain salicylic acid and vitamin C which are very healing to acne-prone skin.